September 16, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings-Trial One

I recently met a friend at a bar here in St. Johns which is somewhat known for its chicken and dumplings. I'll admit, I've never had chicken and dumplings before and I didn't that night either. But my friend did and as I looked at the dish I thought, hm, just seems like thicker chicken pot pie without all the fuss, I could probably swing that. And it just so happens that DP loves chicken and dumplings. Probably because he likes to say dumplings but really, who doesn't? I went in search of a recipe and ended up with one from Real Simple that looked easy. I didn't change much about the recipe except for I poached some chicken breasts and shredded them instead of using a store bought rotisserie chicken. Oh yes and I added mushrooms. And peas.

I liked this recipe but it lacked the thickness that I wanted. Next time I'd probably try using a slurry or a beurre manie to thicken it up. I'll definitely give this another go during the approaching fall! I have posted the recipe as I made it.

Chicken and Dumplings
adapted from Real Simple

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 leek (white and light green parts), halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
  • 1 1/2 cups of crimini mushrooms, sliced in half
  • 3/4 cup of frozen peas, or fresh if you have 'em
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 3 medium sized chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 lbs), poached and meat shredded
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Directions

  1. First poach the chicken. Cover chicken with water in a medium sauce pan. Add any spices you like, I usually go for ones that dissolve easily. After about 15 minutes of boiling, check the chicken. Be careful not to overcook it as it will cook a little bit more later in the recipe. Once it's done, put it on a plate and shred it using two forks.
  2. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, leek, and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it darken). Stir in the broth, wine, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and reduce to a simmer.
  3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 cup of flour with the baking soda and ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir in the sour cream and egg.
  4. If soup doesn't seem thick enough, this is where I might add in a slurry to thicken it up. Add the frozen peas. Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough into the stew and cook, covered, until the dumplings are plump and cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes. Sprinkle with the dill before serving.

DoubleMush
Siamese Mushroom!
Chopped
Chopped up
ShredChix
I really missed Mich for this one, she's a master shredder
Sautee
Sauteing
Dropped
This was the fun part
Fin
and done.

1 comment:

  1. aww I love shredding, too! I LOVE chicken and dumplings, my step mom used to make it and I had a good time dropping in the dumplings! yummm. Next time I'll help!

    ReplyDelete