Also this is a great recipe to make in this weird in between spring time because it's lighter than your traditional pot pie but still is hearty enough to chase away the rainy blues. I made some changes not only to the vegetables I put in to the mix but also I always opt to make my own crust even though I know it's so much easier to use store bought. But if you're not feeling it and don't get your kicks the same way I get mine then use that pre-made pie dough! If you do, this recipe is easy as pie.....pot pie.
Also if you aren't into the tofu thing, which I know lots who aren't, chicken would be a perfect meat to substitute in place of that. After all chicken and pot pie go together like birds of a feather. Below is the recipe as I made it.
Thai Curry Vegetable Pot Pie
adapted from here
2 sheets of pre-made whole wheat pie crust (or here is the homemade recipe I use)
12 oz. drained extra firm tofu
2 tbl olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 bunch kale, center stems removed and chopped thin
1 small head broccoli, stem removed and chopped into small pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sweet potato, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 tbl soy sauce
1/2 cup broth of your choice
1/2 can lite coconut milk
2 tsp green curry paste
1 tsp flour
2 tsp fresh herbs of your choice (I used thyme and parsley)
salt and pepper to taste
- First prepare your pie dough. If you're making homemade get that prepared and chilling in the fridge. If using premade there's usually a thaw period to abide by.
- Drain tofu by sandwiching between two plates and put a weight on top for about 10-15 minutes or until most of the liquid has drained out. Then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large wok or skillet. Throw in tofu and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove from pan into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in same skillet or wok. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add celery, broccoli, carrots and sweet potatoes. Saute until potatoes are tender.
- Add soy sauce and mix with veggies. Remove veggies and put into the same mixing bowl with tofu.
- In the same wok or skillet add green curry paste and allow to heat until aromatic. Add coconut milk and broth. Then add the flour and allow to thicken on low heat for about 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Prepare your baking pan with the pie dough. If using pre-made use a 9" pie plate. I used a larger casserole dish for mine as my homemade recipe made enough dough.
- Line the bottom of the pie dough with chopped kale. Pour the tofu and veggies on top of the kale. Then add the curry sauce from the pan on top of the veggies.
- Place the second pie dough over the top and seal the sides up as decoratively as you please. Put a few vents by poking fork holes or something decorative as well.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Goes great with a green salad!