March 11, 2010

Muenster Mushroom Chipotle Cream Soup!

Ok that title is a mouthful. I have been calling this Spicy Cheesy Mushroom Soup. This recipe came to me highly recommended by my friend Meredith who hosted a soup party a while back and asked all her guests to bring some soup. A girl after my own heart.

This soup was brought to her party and was a hit with everyone who attended. Meredith got me the recipe and I whipped it up with a few additions (noted below). The original recipe came from RecipeZaar.com.

Muenster Mushroom Chipotle Cream Soup (with Meatballs, not pureed)

Ingredients:
2 ounces unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup russet potato or yukon gold potato, peeled and diced
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cups white mushrooms, chopped
salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups muenster cheese, grated
1 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo
1 cup heavy cream
2 portabella mushrooms chopped and sauteed (or roasted and chopped)
a dozen or more frozen meatballs (from Ikea!)

Directions:
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and butter.
2. When butter is melted, add potatoes, onion and white mushrooms; season with salt and pepper.
3. Saute until onions are translucent, add broth, cheese and chipotle. Stir to combine and allow to simmer until potatoes are very soft, stirring frequently--do not worry if cheese seems to clump. (**I put in two of the chiles and some of the sauce, thinking it would not be that hot. I also added the meatballs in this step so they would cook in the broth.**)
4. Puree soup in a blender or food processor, strain through a sieve back into a saucepan (press on solids to remove all liquid)(**I left the puree step out because I did not want to deal with a blender/food processor. Instead I removed the adobo chiles at this point**) and add cream and portabellas.
5. Heat gently until just simmering.
6. Serve hot.

I made this so long ago, (but due to computer issues I am just posting it now) that I do not honestly remember what other additions I made to the original recipe but i don't think there were many. I pretty much stuck to the recipe except for leaving out the puree step and adding meatballs. Instead of the 4 portabellas that the recipe called for I used two and used meatballs to sort of replace the portabellas.

This soup turned out really great. It was a little bit too spicy though because of the adobo chiles. I'm glad I removed them whole rather than chopping them first or blending it like the recipe called for. But I think if I had used only one chile instead of two, it would have been just the right amount of spice. The meatballs were a nice addition, I just love those frozen Ikea meatballs in soup.

Apparently my photos of this soup got lost in my move to a new laptop and I am really sad because I just typed this whole thing up! You will just have to take my word for it. This is one delicious soup if you like mushrooms and cheese and spicy!

No comments:

Post a Comment